Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Do you think it is bad parenting when you see a child using a pacifier?

I seen a child in walmart using a pacifier. He was around 3- 4 yrs old.Do you think it is bad parenting when you see a child using a pacifier?
I think it's bad parentingDo you think it is bad parenting when you see a child using a pacifier?
I don't think it's necessarily ';bad'; parenting when you see a 3-4 year old with a pacifier. I would assume the parents were having a hard time breaking the child of the habit, maybe they're afraid of upsetting their child too much. There are a lot of parents who allow their kids to get away with certain things because they don't want to upset their child. So I would assume that was the case, or, I might think the parent wants the child to stay a baby forever. My mother-in-law admitted to me that she tried to keep her 4th and last child a baby for as long as possible because she knew she'd never have anymore. I wouldn't consider that abuse as her child grew up to be a healthy, well adjusted adult who is now my husband.
It depends how old the child is. Pacifiers are not a bad thing, babies have a strong need to suck and pacifiers satisfy that need. Once a child gets older the need switches to habit. If parents don't seize the opportunity to take it away in the time frame before it turns into habit, then it becomes difficult to take away. Having a pacifier at an older age can interfere with speech and teeth. In my opinion the best thing is to take it away before the child's first birthday. I don't know that I would call it bad parenting but I do think it's a mistake many parents make.
It's not just necesarily bad parenting as it is just laziness or simply convenience. Some parents just have a hard time dealing with a child and use the pacifier as a quick solution. Still, it's a bad habit and by that age, he should be out of it.





At this stage, the child should be learning to control himself as much as he can, without using the pacifier. He's just too old for it, in my opinion.
yes, because at that age it can cause serious problems with the development and shape of a childs teeth and gums. Also at this age it is much more traumatizing to take the pacifier out of the picture. I believe once a child is off formula the bottle should be gone and once the bottle is gone the pacifier should go.
Having a pacifier doesnt hurt them when theyre that old. Its really no big deal. My parents thought it was a good idea to throw my youngest sisters pacifiers away when she was 2 years old and she ended up sucking her thumb until she was 10. It might have been better for her to have her pacifier a little while longer instead. Its not bad parenting if its not hurting them and its not anyone elses business if a parent lets their child have a pacifier. 3-4 year olds are still very young.





BTW pacifiers do not cause dental problems. Go to the fricken dentist and ask
I think its laziness sometimes, parents dont want to hear their kids cry if they have to break a habit. I mean do it at a young enough age and do the job you were meant too, parenting is hard, if you cant break them of a pacifier by 4 yrs old, good lord i feel bad for that parent when the pree teen yrs come and theyve lost control
Sucking is very soothing to a baby. It's not really a sign of bad parenting... however it can be used incorrectly. When my babies were tiny I used the pacifier only when they seemed they needed it. But when they were old enough to make the connection... I kept the pacifier in their bed. They could only use it at nap %26amp; bed time. It made breaking them from the habit much easier. I broke my babies by age 2.





Having said that... I had only 2 pacifier babies, 1 thumb baby and 1 baby that didn't need anything. (The thumb is the one that's a doosie to break.)





:0)


.
First of pacifiers to hurt children s teeth according to MY dentist. Second i dont think its bad parenting but it does drive me crazy. My god daughter is 2 1/2 and she still has one. I cant understand a word she says and if i take it out to understand her she just screams. Her mother isnt the best parent so past that idk maybe it doesn't mean that. My daughter had for 3 months just like doctors say that children should have and then I took it away. She didn't even notice.
Honestly yes..because most of the time when the kid is that old his/her teeth are starting to grow around the thing, and the kid gets picked on in school. (Not to mention a big dentist bill from problems caused by it) I've seen it before and i don't agree with it!
Is it your child?





Then, don`t worry about it. Every parent is different. I bet the parent of that child would have something equally snotty to say to you about your lack of parenting skills.
i wouldnt go as far as to say bad parenting, but it really is disgusting to see someone walking and talking with a pacifier. if he can talk no pacifier. the parents just need to be hit upside the head for some common sense.
Absolutely not...I don't have time to go around judging other people's parenting skills. I'm not a perfect parent, so I have no right to criticize another.
I wouldn't say it was ';bad'' parenting, but there's definitely something wrong with a 3-4 year old child using a pacifier. Pacifiers are intended for babies not preschool age children.
I don't think anything about it if its a baby. but if they take the pacifier out to talk...that's terrible. I wonder if these parents WANT their kids to develop slowly or have dental or dependency problems.
At that age yeah I kinda think that. My baby is 11 weeks old and once she can find her hands to soothe herself I will throw hers away or at least limit it's use to falling asleep at night.
i had a cuz that had TWO pacifiers....he stopped useing them right away his first day of kindergarten becuase all the kids laughed at him........
bad parenting maybe i would say more like LAZY parenting.
I would not have an opinion, since I don't know the child, or the circumstances of his life.





All the best.
No. Why do other people even care what other parents do unless it is putting the child in danger?
at that age,kinda..


but when they are little (like mine) i think its fine..
no. i think its bad parenting when you abuse or neglect your child.
3-4 is too old, but its not bad parenting.
of course not
why do you even care?
It's not bad parenting...but a 3/4 year old really shouldn't be sucking on a pacifier. It's just bad habit, in my opinion. Maybe the parents are lazy? But I wouldn't say that's ';BAD'; parenting.
I agree with who said that the parent is lazy in a way.


But it doesn't mean they are bad parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment