Thursday, May 13, 2010

What parenting style do you disagree with?

why?What parenting style do you disagree with?
In reality breastfeeding a child until they are 2 or 3 years old is not a parenting ';style';, it is simply a Choice on providing for your child nutritionally. I breastfed my children between 24-27 months each, ALL 3 have FAR Superior health to my friends children who did not breastfeed for an extended period of time, therefore I stand by my CHOICE to breastfeed my children 2+ years. That being said I can honestly say i don't approve of the Parenting Style of CHOOSING NOT to do the VERY BEST for your children, by choosing not to breastfeed your children at least 2 years. Touche'!What parenting style do you disagree with?
human pacifier is kind of redundant, don't you think? since a pacifier is an *artificial* substitute for a mother's nipple?





and when did you join the World Health Organization or American Academy of Pediatrics? did you change the recommendation to nurse as long as is mutually desired? i'm very impressed, you must be a very accomplished International Board of Lactation Consultant





oh no? then you don't actually know what you are talking about? oh ok then, your opinion of nursing toddlers doesn't actually matter.





i disagree with busy-body people who think they have any say in how a parent cares for his/her own children.





to answer your q, i disagree with abusive/neglectful parents.
Because there are still benefits I don't see it as comfort nursing. My children self weaned around 2.





I am quite firm with my kids. We have a set of expectations which they should abide by. They are rewarded for doing so, and disciplined for not.





As for nursing, the WHO states there are benefits to being nursed up until 5 years old. However society would dictate the time to stop would be 3 at the latest.





I am okay with the Ferber method on tots. It came in Handy when I had two rambunctious 2 1/2 year old pushing every button they could.





I actually do get slightly taken aback by people who treat their children as tiny adults. I now have two 8 year olds. I interact a great deal with their peers and peers parents. At 8 I still control the what my child consumes, I really do not agree with parents sitting and playing grand theft auto with thier 8 year old, or allowing the to consistently dicate the family meal plan.





My kids are in bed at 8, not watching Weeds. I believe some people loose sight of what is age appropriate.





My boys often act like little adults. Have since they were able to speak, however that does not make them mature enough to handle adult decision making.
I disagree with the parenting style that one way is the only way, oh yeah, here's my response to your q that just got deleted, in case you're oblivious to what I'm talking about





';most rudest'; That was a bit laughable, sorry.





There's TWO main reasons:





It all depends on the person, over the internet everyone is on a power trip, no one would be so critical and tasteless to a person's face so a lot of people figure, it's the net, why not?





OR The formula feeding mother was tactlessly attacking people in previous questions and has a reputation, causing people to be very defensive. This works with reversed roles as well.





As a former breastfeeder I would never act this way and feel it is wrong that you group ';breastfeeders'; together and expect ';breastfeeders'; not to do the same to ';formula feeders'; I could care less how your infant is taken care of AS LONG as it's well taken care of, but when people are petty and childish, THAT gets on my nerves.
I disagree when parent cater to thier young children. I believe that you shouldn't ask a baby what color cup he wants or what he wants to eat. They are not old enough to make decision for themselves. They do not think rationally, you can see this when they fight over toys. It drives me nuts when I see parents getting down and saying do you want mac and cheese do you want a hamburger and their child is two and a half. If you don't know your abcs your not ready to make decisions yet. This spoils the child and they feel like they need to decide on everything and it causes so many problems as they get older. I do think you should give them choices on small occasions as a treat like you go to party city and you decide to buy them a balloon and letting them pick out the color would be a treat. I also don't agree with always buying stuff for children. They don't always need a treat every time they go to the store, (they learn to exspect and demand it) now my sisters kids demand treats every time they step into a store and they know they will get it. It isn't special anymore. The child becomes spoiled when given too much. Every single time my sister's kids get in the car they know they are going to get a happy meal, every time, that is just not right. There is a fine line between spoiling your children and giving them treats. I feel like parents are taking the easy way out and bribing their children to behave and it is just wrong and it is doing an injustice to their children.








I forgot to add, television parents. I hate it when parents sit their children in front of the television. A toddler doesn't need 2+ hours of television. My sister always has the tube and and even uses sprout channel to put them to sleep, I feel it is wrong. It drives me crazy that isn't parenting! Television does not provide a baby sitting service no matter what people may think.
I may get a BIG thumbs down for this but I'm going to risk it anyway....





When parents drop off their children in daycare because they have to go work and let the caregivers 'raise' their children by teaching them what a parent should. Ex. potty training, numbers, letters etc. and then having those same parents ignore the child by placing them in front of the TV or in the swing the rest of the evening.





But hey that works for them and I can't judge but I do disagree with that type of parenting style.
';I also agree with parents who are still breastfeeding a 2 or 3 because I feel the child is just comfort nursing at this point- I believe that is very disturbing on the parents end for letting this continue. Comfort nursing at age 2 and 3 is not appropriate. The parent is not a human pacifier.';





Did I read that correctly? Or did you just say two different things?
The cry-it-out method to put a baby/toddler to sleep. I have only tried it a few times. Both times my daughter cried for the 10 minute limit I put on it and then she was inconsolable when I finally went to pick her up. Besides, everyone tells me that it can cause insecurity in a young child (abandonment issues?).
Honestly, I've never seen anything work out by screaming at a child.





Sure it may get them to listen at the time, but I also believe that it leaves alot of emotional damage.





I completely believe in using a firm tone, but I could never scream at my children.
Abusive-meaning letting your child starve or beating them or name calling on a regular basis. Honestly, if nursing works for an older child, who cares? It's not hurting anyone. If someone want to co-sleep, who cares? Again, not hurting anyone. I hate when parents give into their child and don't discipline them or correct them, but it's not my place to say anything. I can't call CPS and say ';hey, they are not making their child listen';
i do not believe in cry it out. if im washing the dishes and my son starts to cry, sure i will let him cry for a minute till im done, that's not a big deal. but i had an aunt that would let her child scream in there room alone in the dark for hours and that's just wrong. a baby needs comfort
the kind where you push for independence when a baby is very young and when you have too high of expectations for a child who isn't capable of acting or behaving a certain way...
I don't think I really disagree with any parenting style so long as it works for the child.





Unless, of course, he/she is getting abused.
The kind where parents want their kids to be in every sport and school activity ever. I think kids should choose what they want to do!


Also parents who are way too protective get on my nerves as well.
i dont diaagree with anyone's parenting styles unless they are putting their child in danger or neglecting their child.


other than that...how other people raise their kids is none of my business
I disagree with people who don't discipline and just shake their heads when their child is misbehaving.
The neglecting kind and I think it's pretty self explanatory.
Ignoring a bad behavior will eventually get the child to stop. This has NEVER worked with my daughter!
Tough love. I think there's a fine line between being assertive to just plain being mean. Kids have feelings too.
Any sort of detachment behavior. Why become a parent if you're not willing to put in the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment