Thursday, May 13, 2010

Did your parenting life turn out the way you expected?

If it didn't is it looking better now?





My life was perfect up until I lost my late Husband and became a widow, and a single Mother. I've since met a wonderful man, and his Daughter, and together with my Son we are starting to build a new family together. It's finally all looking up.Did your parenting life turn out the way you expected?
Not at all. I was single with my first and never expected to be single (he canceled the wedding when he found out I was expecting) and was single with her until she was 12. That surprised me too. The biggest shocker of all with her was the independent streak she has that is a mile wide. She is a college student (18) with a 9 month old daughter and doing great.





I got married when she was 12 and had a son. He was a preemie and it halted my career for a couple of years which enabled me to start a business from home that I love. I put that on the shelf a year ago when my hubby was diagnosed with Cancer. He is still fighting and doing well but I never thought I would be home with our youngest or caring for him. He is only 46.





If I had the power I would change 2 things. Peter and I would have gotten together 10 yrs soon and Cancer would not be in our lives.





Parenting? Crazy, up and down and love every minute, the ones I dreamed of and the surprises.





It is an amazing gift to be cherished. With an adult child and a 4 yr old I see both sides, the work and the results. I see my mistakes and my triumphs. Overall I think I get a B+ because no parent is perfect.





Good luck to you, I really mean it!Did your parenting life turn out the way you expected?
Expectations are a word I've long given up. Not that I'm someone who ever gives up, just my expections have changed It's almost become associated as a bad word in our family. I have just had to adjust and figure out what I truly want out of life, and out of my kids. Most of the time, it really, when it came down to it, cared more what other's thought abbout me and my kids. Now, I try not to care about anyone except for my kids, and growing their character the right way. Just focusing on what character issues I can work on, help them with, or even just pray about if it's something out of my control. I don't think it ever comes out how we expected, but that doesn't mean it doesn't come out the best!!!! Keep workin' at it--it's the best investment ever...same with your time with your husband!!! smile
well, it was really unexpected to start giving birth and then have a half aisian baby! my husband was not happy because neither of us are asian. guess the cat was out of the bag!





i decided to keep Alfred though because at least I know he will be smart and hopefully bring in some money for us.
My parenting journey is just beginning. My partner and I are having our first in October. It hasn't even started and it isn't going to 'plan' how I thought because I never thought I would follow in my mums footsteps and be a teen mum.





I'm so sorry to hear of your loss and really glad to hear that things are looking up.





Love Jen





xx
I am so sorry for your loss and so happy for your gain. I hope you and your new family are happy for many, many years to come.
That's great. Mine didn't turn out like I planned but I guess somethings never do. I like my life but I know it could be better.
I've had some major ups and downs..but honestly it does seem to be getting better with each passing day! I'm very thankful for all of that honestly!

No comments:

Post a Comment