Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Does anyone have and firsthand advice or experience with foster parenting?

My husband and I are looking into becoming foster parents. We have already contacted the local foster program for details and met at one of the informational meetings. However, I want to know more from firsthand accounts. Does anyone have any experience or advice on the subject?Does anyone have and firsthand advice or experience with foster parenting?
Actually, Ligia, most of the children in foster care are not badly behaved, rebels with no future or hope. It's true the older the child in foster care, the more likely they will have some mental health problems and require more supervision and more patience. Some friends of my mom had a fifteen year old foster daughter a few years ago and because of her past history she wasn't allowed to be alone with men so while the mother was at work I stayed in the house. Yes, she had some issues and was demanding and had some major screaming fits- but all children (biological or not) have similar problems at some point. Generally she was very polite and well behaved. I also have a friend who's parents became foster parents after their biological children left home. They usually take in special needs infants and toddlers who have been taken from abusive homes- babies with brain damage and other health problems from being shaken, beaten, malnourished and neglected. They usually had the children for maybe one month to one year. There are different lengths of time you might have a foster child in your home, from just a few weeks to years. My mother's friends had their foster daughter until she turned eighteen and I believe she still stays in their home sometimes. It's not an easy ';just do it for the state assistance'; choice, if you are in it for the money you will be disappointed. But if you are truly wanting to give children a safe home and are willing to go through some of the hardships that those kids may be dealing with it's very rewarding and very needed in this nation.Does anyone have and firsthand advice or experience with foster parenting?
I was a foster parent before having my own kids. I had 3, 1 boy and 2 girls ages 10-11. The boy was deeply disturbed and flipped out one day, trashed my house and broke my windows in my living room...the foster care agency would not respond...took them like 3hrs to show up...I finally had to call the police and they took him away...he was removed from my home and went from foster home to foster home and eventually ended up staying in a boys home...the 2 girls I had were great, they had some issues but they were good girls, they eventually went back to their families...





my husband and I spoke about fostering again but we want to wait til the kids are a little older..they are 5 and 3 now.
I grew up with foster kids. My parents fostered ';at risk'; and ';last chance'; kids. Our house was the last place they had before juvy. I can honestly say I learned a lot. A lot of bad, like ALL of the kids that came thru our house had been formerly abused by some ';family'; member (many in more ways than one). They needed to talk about the stuff they'd been thru. I heard some gruesome stuff. And a lot of good too. I learned to look deeper to see who people are. They may act tough, scared, mean etc. for a reason I can't see (and don't necessarily need to know...).


I do know there is a great need for ';parents';. All kids need to be loved and protected, they need guidance and support. It will be hard, but you are needed if your heart is really in this.
My old best friend's parents did foster parenting..


Many of the kids that come into foster homes are kids who behave badly.


Don't listen, are rebels.


All I know is that they ended up giving this 5 year old kid up to another foster home. He was always in trouble, grounded, the love they receive is not the same love as you have for your own child.


It's very difficult..=\


I wouldn't do it...

No comments:

Post a Comment