Thursday, May 13, 2010

Should ';Parenting'; be a special course in College?What is there really in parenthood?

Parents of today are simply incomparable with parents of yesterday.I always believe that traditional parents are still more successful in raising up their children.What do you think?Should ';Parenting'; be a special course in College?What is there really in parenthood?
I think it should be a mandatory course in high school.





There are classes available for expentant parents at hospitals on the basics of feeding, changing, bathing, swaddeling etc etc.





As for traditional and parents of today, I'm not sure what you're refering to. I am glad my parents did a better job wiht me than THEIR parents did with them (no hitting, alot of communication) and I feel that I can take the best of my parents and combine it with the best of me to give my kids the best upbringing I can.Should ';Parenting'; be a special course in College?What is there really in parenthood?
I personally don't think you can learn how to be a good parent in a class room.And some parents now days are like the parents of yesterday.Like me and my husband we are VERY old fashioned and traditional.but even some parents who aren't traditional can raise a child to be a wonderful adult,so No I don't think traditional parents are more successful.
College?? They should have it available to anybody through evening school for FREE. Many parents never go to college nor can afford to do so.





I disagree that traditional parents are more successful. That's just narrow thinking. Many non-traditional parents successfully raised good citizens as well, but you choose not to see them as they were working 2 jobs trying to get their kid through high school without being homeless.
You are actually right my dear...in todays world no one actually has time and patience to raise kids/ for parenthood..they do whatever they think is right..everything is so fast paced that parents think that they can raise their kids with the help of Materialistic things due which some imp qualities which kid should imbibe like values, culture, ethichs are missing....so its important for every youngster to go through such special courses ';IF'; offered in college...this will atleast make them aware of ACTUAL meaning of parenthood.
So, if there was such a class, who would teach it? Who is to say that one person's perspective of parenting is the overall perfect way to do it? My parents did their own thing and had their ways to raise us. My husband's Mom took off and his Dad raised him. We take these standards of what we think is acceptable and use them to raise our kids, but these same principles are not used in the same manner with his brother's kids or my sibling's kids....they all treat their own kids in different ways. So, no. I do not think it should be a class. Maybe something like a first aide/infant CPR, care, feeding class, but not a parenting class. Good question, though!
This is an interesting question.. I believe that teaching morals and values shoud be taught within the home. As far as the basic care of infants, toddlers and children that should come way before college. That should be taught in the home as well.. Although, I think in high school it should be linked in with sex-ed.. You might want to learn what you are getting yourself into if you should want to have sex while still in your teens ! I learned simply by babysitting my own siblings and children of my parents friends/family. However, you don't see teenagers babysitting as much nowadays so, maybe a high school class or ';course'; would be appropriate... Today's parents juggle more responsibilities than ever before generally most parents are dual income and the days of SAHM's are pretty much behind us. So, it would be helpful to learn basic lifeskills in school. Balancing a checkbook, grocery shopping/cooking and basic cleaning techniques. Time management and such... Being a parent is a 24/7 job, it's never easy and never ending. It's much more than dirty diapers and keeping a good house.. It's raising a good, responsible child into a well adjusted, adult.. Not for the faint of heart ! Good question....

No comments:

Post a Comment