Sunday, May 9, 2010

Do you ignore or discredit parenting advice and tips from people who AREN'T parents?

Do you get upset if you find out later that the source of the advice you had followed turned out to have never been a parent?Do you ignore or discredit parenting advice and tips from people who AREN'T parents?
I will listen to parenting advice from anyone if it's about general philosophy and backed up by a pediatrician or behavioralist or the supernanny. However, I admit, if I know someone is not a parent, I would discredit it a little bit. Mostly because prior to being a parent, I had all these grand ideas on how I would parent my child once I had him - - then once he's here, reality sets in and I do it much different. So those 'real world tips' - not that they're any better coming from a parent - but I have to ask myself - ';How do they know?';. It's more a problem when those who do not have kids are critical about what those who do have kids are doing. Tough to criticize when you have not been there. If I took advice from someone and later found otu they didn't have kids and the advice helped....I woulnd't be mad at all - I'd just think this person had really, really good instincts about kids. Hope it doesn't sound snarky....just being honest about an honest question you're asking.Do you ignore or discredit parenting advice and tips from people who AREN'T parents?
depends on if the advice worked or not. but normally i take all the advice i can get no matter who it came from. If it works, great!! if not, then seek someone with better advice next time! LOL
Not if it worked. And if it didn't work, now I'd know why.
Just to bring something up, I'm not a parent and I'm on the Parenting questions a lot. I don't answer every question but I may respond to a few that catch my interest or if I feel that I can provide adequate advice. I do however have my Early Childhood Education diploma and I'm planning on having children in the future and I do have experience of caring for children in both daycare centres and homes.
I don't think people without kids should tell people with kids what to do. It's different when you actually have children and everyone thinks they're an expert. Besides, all kids and parents are different so when I get advice from anyone, parent or not, I think about whether or not I think it would work for me and if it doesn't I don't do it. But I'm definitely reluctant to listen to someone who's never been in my situation before.
no sometimes it takes a creative outside opinion to se a solution to a problem. especailly if maybe that person had childcare or meidcal experience, or a psych degree etc.... sometimes being a parent doens't mean you have good advice for another parent either! =)
It all depends on what the advice was...everyone is entitled to answer and if theyv answered they myst know at least what ther talking about...with this u either take the advice or leave it...it doesnt upset me, i think its nice to know ppl want to try and help.
If the advice is logical, and if it is something that is applicable to the situation, I would say it doesn't really matter what the source was. I guess the point being, if you don't want advice, don't ask.
No not at all remember that everyone was a child at some point and we all learn from our parents just because someone doesn't have kids doesn't mean they don't know what their talking about. I learned alot from a good friend of mine when my son was a baby because she had younger sister that she helped out with alot. She has her own boys now that are both under the age of ten and she calls me to get advise about them and my son is 17 . I feel you can learn from everyone.
it depends, as with any advice you have to pick it apart, see if it seems reasonable, maybe research it a bit, you dont have to have a kid to have been around them and know how they work, at the same time, some parents are just shitty and i woudnt take their advice for anything....
i don't ignore advice, i tend to filter what i feel will work for my kids however, i do ignore their criticizing
I'm not a parent just yet. However, I've had many years experience working with children and infants so if it's a situation I've ran into then I will give my advice/opinion on it. Obviously I do not know EVERYTHING there is to know about parenting and I will not answer if that is the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment