Sunday, May 9, 2010

Do you find it rude when someone gives you parenting advice?

I personally welcome it, as long as the advice makes sense I love to hear from different point of views. If I don't agree with the advice, then I wont take the advice. You would think it would be that simple, I don't see why people take some things so personally.Do you find it rude when someone gives you parenting advice?
It's like anything else -- some people just can't handle constructive criticism. When it comes to our kids -- when the ';mama bear claws'; come out (or daddy bear!), the reaction can be even more intense for someone who can't handle it or has a big pride chip on their shoulder to begin with.





Personally, I don't mind when people offer advice -- I have a very specific idea about how my children need to be raised, and if someone gives me advice I disagree with, most times I just smile and thank them and then do what I know is right. There are those who are just trying to help, and I definitely don't want to make them feel bad for taking the time and effort to try to help me.





Ironically, I do find it quite irritating when someone who doesn't have children tries to give other parents advice -- especially to parents who don't necessarily have their feet on solid ground, parenting wise.





Interesting.Do you find it rude when someone gives you parenting advice?
It is the same way as with any advice that isn't solicited. I don't think it is rude but it is annoying. There's an old saying, ';If I wanted your advice I would have asked for it.'; The parenting advice can be rude depending on when it is given. If the parent is right in the middle of trying to deal with their child they are not likely to appreciate the interruption and I can tell you that goes for spouses to!





I'm also with Natasha about the complete strangers. Every individual child is unique and for someone who have never even met a child to offer unsolicited advice is silly.
Depends on the spirit in which it is given. If they are truly interested in my kids' well-being and are trying to help then sure I'll listen to whatever they have to say.





I get a little testy however when it is being delivered in a judgemental kind of way. My brother and sister-in-law are famous for this. In their opinion, there is only one way to do everything...their way. They make no allowances for the fact that my children have had vastly different life experiences than their kids.





My daughter was adopted after being abandoned at birth and moved through multiple placements before landing in my arms. I also foster kids that have been removed from neglectful and abusive situations. I don't parent my kids the way most people parent simply because my kids have different needs. I don't appreciate strangers, or friends for that matter, telling me I need to ';swat their butts'; or ';walk away when they have a melt-down';. These are kids that are terrified of adult agression and have abandonment issues. They need to see adults who are in controll of their reactions, who are compassionate and supportive of the kids even when said kids can't control their emotions or make poor decisions.





IMO, all kids are different. What works for one family doesn't work for another. This constant need to criticize other parents and hand out advice belittles other families and the children in their care.
It depends, I don't mind when it comes from another parent in the right situation...but I don't like it when people that don't even have kids try to tell you what you should do with your toddler...I am just like okay come talk to me when you have a 17 month old okay.





or in another instance my hubby was holding my my daughter who was 12 months old at the time and she was getting a little fussy so I gave her my straw , like one from a fast food restaurant, and she was playing with it while we were in line and this lady walks up out of no where and says ';oh thats nice let your kids put a straw in their mouth great parenting idiot.'; That was so uncalled for, first of all what is going to happen with a huge straw while I am standing right next to her, second of all it is none of her business. In that case I am not so fond of people telling me what to do.
I am not a parent yet ... but do know people who get plain upset when you suggest anything about how they should discipline their child. That's advice coming from people who do and don't have children. They just don't want to hear it. Some people think their children are too perfect to be told what to do. If it's family or close friends, I see no reason why they can't tell your child to stop running or talking back or whatever. As long as it's done tactfully I see no problem.





Edit:





In my experience, it's usually ... and I say usually, the parents who have unruly heathens who don't want you to utter a word about their behavior. They know they're out of control, but they don't want to hear it from anyone else. In those cases I say leave your kids at home. Don't bring them to my house, because if the parent won't say anything I will eventually.





Also, most people only want to hear what they want to hear.
As long as its not ';You need to discipline those kids'; Im fine with it. I do not welcome people telling me to hit my kids or be more of a disciplinarian. If they give advice on diet, how to handle situations when youre about to lose your mind, how to relax when the kids wont, which is the best doctor or things like that Im totally cool with it.
Advice is one thing and I don't mind getting it when I ask for it. I frequently ask my mom how I should do something, or if she had been through this with me.





When people (with or without children) offer unsolicited instructions or tell me how I am parenting wrong, I have a very big problem with that.
it's ok when you need it or it comes from someone you respect but i don't like when complete strangers come up and criticize me for the way i parent. for instance my daughter has just started to walk and so i got her some new shoes and she was walking around the store with me and a complete stranger came up and said you shouldn't have shoes on that baby you are going to ruin her feet. i find that rude and unfounded.
Rude, no. Annoying, yes. When I want advice, I ask for it. When I don't want advice, I don't ask.





My 13 year old child has a minor cold and no fewer than four people told me how to treat it - and all of them had completely different opinions. I think I can handle a cold in a teen.





All the best.
It doesn't seriously offend me but the other day my husband's aunt, whom I love, asked if I was ';still nursing'; my baby who is only 6 months old on the 13th! She said it in an icky way. I was a little bit taken aback and I was like: ';What am I SUPPOSED to feed him? He is still a little baby.';





lol
No not at all. I'll take any advice, for being a young mother. Children dont come with instructions %26amp; it helps to get other opinons.
it depends on how that advice is delivered.

No comments:

Post a Comment