Thursday, May 13, 2010

Why is it that some parents quote books when giving advice about parenting?

i think it's just silly. people need to get their own ideas about parenting. it is a constant effort, you try different things and learn what you like and dont like by your own experiences. i dont understand why some people parent by things they read in books. is it that they dont have a mind for themselves?Why is it that some parents quote books when giving advice about parenting?
I get advice on parenting from my spouse, my parents, my in-laws, my friends, my kids (!), random people at the supermarket, my pediatrician, my kids' teachers, random people on the internet, and yes, books (particularly ones that have support in actual research; other ones tend to exasperate me). Yes, I have a mind for myself, but I like to get information to go into that mind ... and I also don't like to reinvent the wheel. I appreciate getting factual, research-based information whenever I can, and I take opinions and ideas with a grain of salt. Many come in very handy; others I find simply ridiculous. Yes, I ultimately make up my own mind on how to parent. But I'm not closed to getting ideas from others, either.Why is it that some parents quote books when giving advice about parenting?
Because there are tips in some books that are useful. Its the same as getting advice from parents, friends, different people - you try certain things that worked for others, and learn what you like and don't like through your own experiences.





I think what you are complaining about is people that don't have kids at all, and simply quote what a book tells you to do. I don't mind if a parent quotes a book to me, as long as they've tried it themself and has some experience with it. I don't see a problem with that.
I agree I'm the same way I don't read parenting books some of my neighbors look at me funny when I tell them that I have only glanced at parenting books but I don't own any, I take knowledge from people I actually know like my parents and my aunts and friends who have been parents longer than me and I go with my natural instincts. I don't understand it they are basically raising their kids the way other people want them to be raised and some may disagree but they really are because they do exactly what the books say. it's disgusting to me and stupid are great great grand parents didn't use books. sorry if that sounds like a rant.
I think reading can be very beneficial to parenting...kinda like we come to YA for advice on parenting. Sometimes, you just cant find anything that works for you, and want to hear the opinions of others, and methods that actually work. I don't see anything wrong with gaining knowledge, no matter where it comes from.
There are good and bad books, on any subject. Its the parents with minds, who can pick out the good from the bad information. I think its silly to question that, especially on parents who are putting in this effort to become better parents.
  • glitter eyeshadow
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment