Thursday, May 13, 2010

If a college education does not effect parenting does income?

Since yesterday the questions were asked about wether college educated parents were better, (and most agreed it didnt make you a better parent) does income effect how good of a parent you are?If a college education does not effect parenting does income?
although perhaps the first instinct would be to say that parents with higher incomes might have more time to spend with their kids and that might affect their parenting for the better, there's an interesting book called The Price of Privilege by Madeline Levine that talks about a lot of the negative things that tend to happen with upper class kids. perhaps a happy medium might work out best on average ... though of course it would be on average, because there are great and terrible parents at every income level.If a college education does not effect parenting does income?
Yes and no. Yes because you have access to more things at one time, but just look at the celebrity parents, how many actually have taken the time to raise their kids, and how many just let the nanny raise them because they were too busy because their work demands a lot of them? And no income does not affect parenting, if you know shortcuts and are thrifty, and have a good support group. And if you know how to make your dollars stretch you can go a long ways. For example, just buying nice clothes at the thrift store sometimes, instead of always buying them knew, finding ways to cook more than one thing with limited ingredients, those are what I mean by shortcuts. You may not make that much, but if you budget the right way and keep things in priority, your kids will never know they went without certain luxuries, until they were much older. You'd be suprised how many luxuries you can do without. You can make good income, but if you don't know how to manage your money properly, you might as well be poor, because you will always be broke!!!
I don't think income determines the quality of your parental skills. I think income affords opportunity. income may be able to pay for ';nicer'; schools - including college, stuff, educational objects - computer is mainly what i'm thinking of here, outings.


i don't know that i believe that someone who makes a lot of money is better than someone who makes a little bit of money - and vice versa. that statement could go either way.


i think parents first and foremost have to have the internal stuff - love, compassion, desire to be a good parent, patience, guidance - to be a good parent. the other outside factors can either aid or inhibit a persons parenting skills.
i would say maybe, if you from a low income family there are things your kids can never experience, but that does not mean rick people are better parents, just that if you have a better income you have more options and possibility's to offer the children.


And lets face it , children going out and meeting new cultures and being in different situations is very important.


I would say it affects up to a point,i cannot believe children who live at a self sufficient farm and never go out, experience the same as children who have weekend breaks and cultural visits and holidays.
I don't think that it effects weather or not you will be a good parent but I do think it effects what kind of parent you will be. My parents got divorced when I was 8. My mom is a waitress and my dad owns a commercial fishing business. So basically my mom scraped to get by through my childhood and my dad gave me anything I wanted. So while I may have been spoiled I always realized that I needed to be thankful for what I had. Not many spoiled kids realize that until they are older or their parents cut them off.
I read somewhere that the richer you are, the more chance you have of not being as effective a parent. Something about how the super wealthy are less likely to just sit down and have dinner with their kids and more likely to be on the go so much that they don't get much time with their children. I know that's not true in all cases, but I've seen wealthy families over the years that find it hard to make time for family bonding.
why would income matter? i think what matters more is setting boundries for your children and being consistant. my husband and i have never had a lot of money but i have found that kids dont really have to cost that much! the only reason income would matter is if you take out the stress of financial problems on your children, and even with a high income you might spend more than you make and still have problems!
To some degree, yes. However, look at the offspring of the ';ultra-rich'; and you can see that having money does not make a good parent. It seems the parents of spoiled rich kids do not have time for parenting, and maybe don't even know what it is all about.
No. I'd rather be born to poor parents who love me and spends time with me than rich parents who supply me with the best stuff but no affection.





Beatles:';Cause I don't care too much for money, money can't buy me love';





If parents can provide the basics, I say it makes no difference.
I don't think it makes you a better parent but money helps give the child(ren) more opportunities like ballet, karate, hockey, piano lesson and so on.
Well these are questions which experts and doctors studying our psychologies can answer,check this site which discloses many such answers which I found in google.
Well I've been through 4 armed robberies by young men who were raised by single moms on welfare. Just look at who is committing the crimes around you.
I do think that it should be easier to parent if you are not worrying about food on the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment