Tuesday, May 11, 2010

How would you use an Undo button in your parenting?

Something you said? Overreacting? Discipline choice? When you broke your diet? Losing your cool with a teacher? Imagine you had the opportunity to use an Undo button... you can go as far back in time as you want. Where would you use it?How would you use an Undo button in your parenting?
My oldest daughter had a strawberry hemangioma under her right eye as a baby. It was at it's biggest the size of my thumb nail. Very big %26amp; bright %26amp; raised too. Over time it did shrink %26amp; the color became pink instead of the vibrant red it was. She entered Kindergarten and that's when our problems began. The kids would ask %26amp; touch %26amp; laugh and even some adults would always ask her about it. She wanted it gone. It was already more than 75% gone from when it was at it's biggest. The color was blending well with her own skin, but the lump was still there, not bad at all though. We couldn't even noticed it , but others did. We took her to a children plastic surgeon ans had the lump removed. That was 3 years ago. He removed only 1/2 of the lump and now the skin is like sunken in with a scar and 1/2 of the lump still there. It looks worse than before he touched it. I never went back, why would I have him do more when he ruined it to begin with? I don't say anything to my daughter ever. But someday I do want to take her to a real plastic surgeon who deals with the face and see what they can do. There has to be someone who can fix what this guy did.


I just wish I never ever took her to get her birthmark removed. It makes me want to cry :(How would you use an Undo button in your parenting?
I know this is terrible for me to say this, mainly because she really has needed us to help her out and in return has helped us save tons of money on child care, but I would have undone the agreement to move in with my MIL. In hind site, its the one area where I think we went wrong as far as raising Hannah is concerned. My MIL %26amp; I have clashed quite a bit along the road with regard to how I was raising her, my chosen method of discipline, and what rules were NOT to be broken. My MIL has had a hard time accepting that she can't spoil Hannah like she wants to because we live with her and that she has to accept that she needs to keep quiet if she doesn't agree with how I'm going about what I'm doing. Its lead to quite a bit of unnecessary drama, that's for sure.
I would never have married my child's mother. I would have fought for full guardianship of my daughter and made sure she would never have to be subjected to the horrible atrocities with which she suffers now.





Because of the mistake I made, in attempting to form a stable family of 3 instead of 2, the best I can achieve is half custody instead of full.





So, how do I sleep at night? I sleep in the knowledge that when I die, I will suffer as I deserve for destroying that little girl's life by allowing her mother access to her.
I read everyone's answers and I feel like.. oh yea I can just about identify with too many of them. My son is 9 years old. Somewhere along the way I feel like I really must have done something wrong... I would erase back to when he was really little and do everything different. I wish I could figure out the right way to start that now. He is my boy and he's awesome, and I love him so much, I wish I could have done better...... One big thing is that I worry so much about the right thing all the time I have a hard time just teaching joy. I wish I could put into perspective the couple things I wouldn't bend on and relax about some others. I just can't get it though.
The time I ever moved into the apt with Brody's dad.


I lived there 2 months, and I ended up getting slapped in my face 3 times while Brody was in my arms, and him trying to push me down the stairs.


My dad ended up at his door that day, and I left then and there.





But what really breaks my heart is that Brody was there seeing his dad everyday, and obviously developing a stronger relationship...


And since I moved out he has seen Brody 4 times.


That hurts me to no end.


TO know I brought Brody closer to his dad, and even after that his dad wont even call to see how he is, nevermind visit him.
No parent is perfect. We are just people. I put my mom on a pedastool. She was in all actuality the perfect mom. She always had all the housework done, sewed our clothes, made dinners from scratch, went to church every Sunday and never uttered a bad word.


I would love to say I carried on her tradition, but sorry to say i did not.


I am happy my kids can have a relationship with their grandma. She is a very special woman.


If I could take back anything, it would be the selfishness I had. I should have been the mother my kids deserved by not worrying about a career and be a mom. Kids are only young once, and young parents don't understand how quick it goes.


If you look at that a lifetime spans about 80 years. We have our kids for 18 of those years to mold.


Parents want babies to be independent as soon as possible- and why is that?
I would undo all the times i worried about ';breaking routine, starting a bad habit, spoiling her, raising a brat';....i was INUNDATED with ';what to do and what not to do, what not to start'; that i missed so many of the good times, the snuggles, the quiet times.....and now i may not be having another child i REGRET it soooooo much :(
I would have answered the phone sooner on June 6th, 2007. The phone rang twice just after midnight and I didn't answer it. At 6am it started ringing again. After about 4 calls I finally answered it. Only to find out my husband had been airlifted from his job to a hospital after having a 350 pound pipe fall on his head and shoulder. I was numb and in shock and I actually hung up on the hospital. It took 3 more calls and about 6 hours before it finally hit me enough to get me in gear to fix things. So my rewind would have started at midnight and probably not have ended for a few weeks. I made many mistakes in my haze. I should have explained what happened before I left Minnesota that day. I should have made sure my kids understood what was happening but I was very scared and I didn't have ANY answers. I wasn't even aware he was in ICU until I arrived. Instead of sitting in my husbands room constantly waiting for updates I should have called my kids more often and made sure they were dealing with things okay. And when we came home from the hospital 3 weeks later I should have been more compassionate for my kids. Instead I harped and nagged about how we had to be quiet and let Dad heal. I didn't know how to handle the situation and I completely failed that entire test. My kids suffered because they weren't equipped for what happened and I made matters worse.
Great question!!!!


Sadly, it wouldn't be one circumstance~ it would be almost all of the raising of my oldest daughter.


When she turned 18, and it hit me that I couldn't get any of those years back, it really made me see that I really could have done so many things differently had I been a stronger person.


May she be a much stronger woman than the example that I set for her~
my kids are only 3 and 1, but if i could... I would undo....





every time i've ever snapped at them. I'm still learning to have patience with them. It takes time for sure, but sometimes they push me to the limit and i think my head might spin off from pure anger. I wish i could take that back
I would have tried harder to get my son to see mistakes as natural, acceptable parts of the learning process - something to learn from, not something to chastise himself for.
The year long period where my oldest son's father and I were about as pleasant to each other as Michael Vick was to his dogs. Fortunately, our son doesn't remember it but it still makes me feel bad.





Brody's mommy: that's your ex's fault, not yours, period.
In dealing with my 11-year old son. Crikey, the times I've sat there in stunned disbelief listening to the nonsense that has just come out of my mouth.
I'd be pressing that ';rewind'; button in too many areas to list honestly.
I wish I could take back all the times I raised my voice and lost control and just be calm 100% of the time.
mine would have broken off from overuse by now.
I would never have told my first husband that I was pregnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment