Saturday, January 23, 2010

When it comes to Parenting do you consider yourself liberal or conservative?

Or perhaps you are like me, somewhere in the middle? I want my kids to be open minded and accepting that people are different and that it's OK to be different. On the flip side, I want them to have a code of morals and values upholding marriage, family and strong character.





What about you?





p.s. I'm on lunch break and I thought I'd ask another silly question!When it comes to Parenting do you consider yourself liberal or conservative?
A little in the middle, but mainly towards conservative. We are raising our children as God instructs us to according to the Bible and part of that also is to be accepting of others, respect others and to love others regardless of their differences to them. They will know what is right according to the Bible and we will encourage them to love God above all else, but we will let them decide for themselves whether or not they wish to follow God. We cannot force them to, but we can do our best to raise them to the way God has commanded us to.





We pretty much instill the same things you do. We are liberal conservatives. We don't agree with abortion or support being pro-choice and we certainly don't agree with homosexuality, but we respect that others feel differently.When it comes to Parenting do you consider yourself liberal or conservative?
Depends on who I compare myself to. If I compare myself to the average American way of thinking; no spanking, don't tell you kids,';No';, never tell teenagers to abstain from sex, homeschooling is bad for kids' socialization (ect).........then I guess I am conservative because I totally disagree with every one of those examples and many other popular parenting practices.


But if you compare me to the ultra-conservative types who think everything about TV and music is bad, who believe that children should be seen and not heard, who believe that public school is bad for kids, then I would be considered liberal because I don't believe any of those things, either.


So my answer is that it totally depends on who you compare me to.


I guess by the MAJORITY of the world's standards, I am conservative.
I'm not exactly sure what constitutes liberal or conservative with respect to parenting. I'm certainly liberal politically, and I share those beliefs with my kids. I'd like to think being liberal isn't inconsistent with having a strong moral code or character, and I certainly want my kids to have that, as well.





We don't spank, which some people will say makes us ';liberal'; parents. We do, however, have firm expectations of our kids' behavior, which I would say makes us in some ways ';conservative'; parents. And judging by some of the things I see kids my kids' ages doing, I'm very much ';conservative'; by comparison (no cell phone in 4th grade; very little tv time; they dress conservatively (I don't actually think it's conservative, but compared to some of the stuff that's being sold for their ages I guess it is); not watching movies rated over their age ranges, etc).





I guess that makes me a mix. How about I'll say I'm a ';reasonable'; parent? ;-)








eta -- not a silly question, btw. fairly thought-provoking, actually.
Its always tough when you grow up and have kids of your own, isn't it? I always thought my parents were wrong for not liking my boyfriends when I was growing up. Now I have to deal with my sons little girlfriends who are just way too young for sex. He is still a virgin, at least that's what he tells me. I just had a conversation with him last night and told him straight up what I thought. I basically told him how I felt about what he does, but he's going to learn from his mistakes. I have said everything I possibly could to keep him from getting his girlfriend pregnant and he just blushes and gets all embarrassed. I can't watch him all the time and its only going to be a matter of time before he realizes I'm right. :) How was lunch?
I am the same, I am very open and want my kids to be very open minded but at the same time they must be upstanding people, honestm caring, loyal and hard working...but they can date whomever they want...as my family is very mixed racially and we just found out that my cousin in a lesbian and I have cousins that have different baby mommas and have kids out of wedlock....I teach my kids not to look down on them but at the same time I want my kids to have a secure marriage before kids if possible...I know all I can do is be a good parent and hope they learn from that..but I will not judge them for whatever choices they make when they are older....
I agree I am in the middle too but leaning more on the conservative side.I think it is good for children to be who they are and open mind but at the same time I want them to share the same values and morals as me and my husband.I personally think you can do both.
People can't figure me out--lol. In most ways I am kind of crunchy--I believe that talking and explaining or a ';No'; works most of the time. I also do not want to run a military camp--and want them to explore and make mistakes, etc.





On the other hand I have no faith in time outs, naughty chairs, etc.--when punishment is called for I spank.





My kids are punished less than most kids, but probably spanked more.





You tell me what I am:)
I consider myself a conservative-liberal (ie I'm liberal, but not extremely right-wing) - in my parenting and politics.
I'm curious to see the answers on this. I would like to think I'm in the middle, but my girls think I'm pretty strict. I suppose if they go by the standards of their friends, then yes, I'm very conservative.





I think it's interesting how we all define what is of most important to us.


I sort of agree with Des. We have VERY high expectations of our children, in terms of behavior and education. However, my oldest had a cell phone in second grade and I do not think they dress very conservatively. They wear glitz and glam and they鈥檙e all about expressing themselves with fashion. ha ha


Although, I am very conservative about their manners, study habits and going out to friends houses. My home is welcome to their friends but I鈥檓 pretty strict about letting my kids out of my site. I'm getting better with my oldest. She has been given a bit more freedom to go to sleepovers and such, as long as her phone is fully charged. I'm very much*in their business* and I have a good relationship with their teachers. We talk daily (or almost daily). I'm also pretty conservative about their diets. I fully expect them to eat healthy in general. I don't mind the occasional snack, at all, but their health is extremely important to me.


I expect them to do chores. They do not get an allowance for doing chores. They get money when they need it (books, activities, movies or outings with friends) but chores are an expected part of being in our family and I will not pay for those.


When they get in trouble- they REALLY get in trouble. I do not spank. I do a full-blown punishment consisting of electronics taken away, no phone calls to friends or from friends and no visits and no outing for x amount of time. I don't think I make life easy on them.


Some might argue they are tad bit materialistically and attention spoiled, but they don't get away with anything in this house. lol
  • pimple
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment