Thursday, January 21, 2010

How many parents here read parenting magazines/books?

Do you find them helpful or do you just feel more inadequate? Just curious if they really are beneficial to the general population.How many parents here read parenting magazines/books?
I never really read a lot of the books. I found that one author would suggest one thing and another would suggest something else and often, the advice was contradictory.





I did read the magazines until it hit me that read them long enough and they reprint the same articles over and over.





I realized that in the heat of the moment, what someone suggested never really worked and I used the same techniques that my mother did. My kids are now teenagers and turned out quite well despite having never paid attention to any of those books.How many parents here read parenting magazines/books?
I think that they are a good resource on things that you don't think to ask your doctor where a professional opinion is best. Like, for example, whether a baby should wear shoes when they are learning to walk. However, I think that the best source is always going to be other parents.
I did read them all the time with my first child, now after my second I don't have the time to go back to them, plus I read them all. I did find it very helpful to understand the mind of a baby and toddler.
Books no. Magazines yes, I subscribe to two magazines. I find them helpful. I find some helpful tips here and there but mostly the products featured inside, learning toys, clothing, websites etc are what interest me most.
I use to skim through them. Take what you like leave the rest. Don't compare. If your honest you can always find what you perceive as better or worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment