Saturday, January 23, 2010

How do you ask a family friend to stop ';parenting'; your child?

I am a stay at home mom and I get together about once a week with another stay at home mom with two children right around my kids' age. She is a nice person, and I enjoy her company with one huge exception: she is really mean and bossy to my children and yet at the same time pays little to no attention to her children's behavior. I have no idea how to confront or ask her to stop. I would appreciate any advice as long as it is constructive and sincere. Cheers!How do you ask a family friend to stop ';parenting'; your child?
Same thing happened to me with my little brother.


My friend was being really controlling. So I did this--


One day, when she came over, I acted really stressed and was like ';oh so i have this other friend (mary maybe, doesnt matter) who is really controlling of my kids...it really bothers me. i dont do that to her little siblings, so why does she do it to mine?';


worked LIKE A CHARM.


i guess it made her think about how she treated my little bro, and she backed off.How do you ask a family friend to stop ';parenting'; your child?
Boy! that's a tough spot to be in. I guess the best thing to do and it will not be easy - you have to confront her about it.





I am sure she will not take it well and probably get very mad at you for it. Get ready for her tell you she is not your friend anymore. Also I would be afraid what she will tell your children. I am in the same rut you are but with my sister. She turned things completely around. And who do the kids believe? You got it. HER! So I wish you luck.
ok i think that when she does start yelling or bossing ur children around, you should go to the situation and say ';its ok i got this covered, theyre my kids i can take care of this'; YOU NEED to step in and show that UR also a parent who can take care of ur own kids. or if she does get super bossy and over baring JUST TELL HER FLAT OUT ';i think they only need one mom telling them whut to do, i can take care of disciplining them, thank you tho'; you gotta hint it so she backs off a bit and focuses on her own kids right?
This is a great question. I had some experiences with this situation too.I guess u cld start by saying ';You appreciate her help in regards to your children, but you would rather her lean back a little and acknowledge that u are the parent to yours'; I hope I don't offend u by commenting that I think this nice person may be jealous of u and ur children, which u may discover when u comfront her. personally I'd cut ties with her. Good Luck
I don't have kids yet, but I do have a very controling mother in law whom I don't get along with so I'm sure all hells going to break loose the first time I tell her leave mine alone. I would wait until your friend says something else and just say something like ';I'll handle this if you don't mind';, ';Could you not confuse my kids about who's the boss';, ';Let me deal with my kids';, you have to stick up for yourself!
you should say in a nice tone im her mother not u
First, it looks like you really have 2 problems here. 1 as you stated, the 'parenting' friend, and the 'non-controlled' children they bring with them.





1. If she's really a good friend, and you value that friendship and enjoy your time together, you really should just say to her in as nice a way as possible, that you're sorry she seems bothered by your child's actions, but would she please leave the parenting to you. Tell her you appreciate her efforts to help, but it doesn't seem to be working and looks as though it is only causing your friend more stress.





Say, clearly, ';thanks, I appreciate you trying to help out here, but I really need to handle this myself.'; You might also say in an apologetic way that you regret how much your child seems to be irritating the friend and that she seems to be getting upset by your child's behavior too much.





If the bossing continues, reduce the time and times you meet with the friend, and state the reason as being you really don't want to impose on her or cause her what seems to be so much stress.





2. Ask her, please ask your child to stop doing that, and give the reason. Do not ask the child yourself, since that is the precedent you're trying to break.

No comments:

Post a Comment