Thursday, January 21, 2010

Do you think it is bad parenting/ irresponsible to own pit bulls if you have young children?

Someone recently asked me this question and i have my own view but id like to hear what you guys think too.Do you think it is bad parenting/ irresponsible to own pit bulls if you have young children?
No, I know of plenty of people that have pits and children, and have no problems whatsoever. The dogs are fantastic family members. They were raised properly, socialized well with other dogs and people, and perfect companions.Do you think it is bad parenting/ irresponsible to own pit bulls if you have young children?
No, I don't.





As long as you train the dog, and teach your children how to respect the dog. That should be done for any dog no matter the size. I have young children and a boxer, and I have also had a Bulldog with small children.
No! Of course not lol.





Its bad parenting and irresponsible to own a dog (any dog) and not train it though! A trained, obedient dog, regardless of breed, will be great with kids.
Ultimately, I think it's the parents' responsibility to decide what risk is acceptable for their children. Many people have questioned us about our Danes, although anyone who knows anything about Danes knows that they are giant couch-potatoes most of the time. I'd much rather have a Dane than a small dog, such as a nippy little Chihuahua.





Anything you have around your house, animals, machines, stairs, chemicals, etc. carries a certain amount of risk. The world isn't lined with bubble-wrap.





That being said, I've known extremely sweet, loving pit bulls and I've heard of at least two pit bulls who turned. One of these suddenly seemed to go crazy, and chewed through a protective fence before it was put down.





I think there are certain dogs that really aren't the best for pets, but if I was going to have a pit bull, or any of the former fighting breeds or aggressive guard breeds such as a Chow or Rottweiler, I'd be sure to know the parents' temperament, probably grandparents and great-grandparents' too. I certainly wouldn't buy one of these dogs from just any casual breeder.
You know my opinion recently changed. Because of a breed show we discriminate before this breed has done anything? Do we just assume that this breed will attack? Honestly if i had children I'd not allow it, however if you train a pitbull from birth then it has no reason to attack. Even if owning a pitbull from puppyhood still i wouldnt leave the dog unsupervised nor would i leave any dog. Take a look at this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBus4GGsyb4 it makes you think... but still none the less dogs do attack all breeds infact dogs kill but i know that not all pitbulls are out to kill, they must have extreme training. Whats your opinion?
Not at all.


I think it is bad paernting to allow children to be alone unsupervised with any dog.


I have known quite a few people who have had pitts and kids.


One loved the kids and would not let anyone who did not live in the home near the children.
Not at all....assuming, of course, you know the breed, how to handle the breed, and how to provide for a pittie's breed-specific needs. Also assuming you are a responsible parent who knows not to leave children alone with any dog of any breed, and you are intelligent enough to teach your children how to handle a dog (no poking, prodding, or pulling)





Of course, Pit Bulls are high-energy dogs, who can knock a child over with their enthusiasm alone....age of the children need to be taken into consideration.





These dogs are actually notoriously great with children.





Unfortunately, most people just are not responsible enough as parents, nor are they vigilant enough as pet owners....shameful
id like to be able to say it is wrong to judge a dog by its breed but the fact is instinct is a huge part of any animal and pitts have been bred to be aggressive. that isn't to say there can't be nice pitts in the world, however in a home with children especially small ones it would be wise to give instinct the benefit of the doubt, after all better safe than sorry. don't get a pitt and if u already have one make sure you don't leave it alone with the kids and teach the children how to play safely with it. Ive never had a pitt though i like them and wish they weren't prejudiced against. Unfortunately that is the reality.
yes it is irresponsible. pit bulls are unpredictable (as any dog can be). when pit bulls attack they go in for the kill, not to bite and run away. they are extremely territorial. in saying that any dog can become aggressive and violent at any time (even the best behaved dogs), thats why no matter what breed dog you have, you should always supervise when the dog and child are in the same room, and never leave the dog where it can get to the child (or vice versa).
absolutely not...we have 3 that are trained and great dogs who love our 4 kids ages 11-4. people who say otherwise are dumb.
no because my son has 2 pit bulls and he has kids and the dogs are pertective of the kids. It depends on how a dog is trained and how the kids are with the dogs I mean some kids dont know how to treat a dog and then the only way a dog has to pertect itself is biteing.
Absolutely not.





But depending on the parent's ability to properly train and socialize their dog, and teach the kids how to respect dogs, then it could be a disaster. But it wouldn't be the breeds fault.
I think it is endangerment.
Well I have had my pitbull Trinity for 4 years she was raised with my daughter when my daughter was 4 and I have had Trinity since she was a baby she is very protective of my daughter when my daughters friends rough house with her and Trinity thinks she is hurt she jumps in front of my daughter and barks at the person she thinks is hurting her its the same with me. I think it all depends on the owners if the dog was raised around kids there is nothing to worry about but if you seclude a dog it will be nervous and scared and of course it will either bite or snap at kids or even adults if it feels that way. I know alot of people who rescue pits as adults and they get along fine with their babies and kids. I do know this if there is going to be kids coming in and out of the house and the dog doesnt know them its best for them to greet the dog with a toy or treat and let the dog sniff them that way the dog can get to know them and not be so nervous. I also think that if you plan on having any type of dog you should train it other wise there is no point in having a pet that you arent going to pay attention to; Just like kids why have them if you dont take care of them!
No.
It is bad parenting to own any dog when you have small children if they are not properly trained. Especially a big dog since they can hurt them more than a toy breed. And FYI, pits are not supposed to be aggressive around people. I suggest you research the breed before you stereotype it.
No. I think it is bad parenting and irresponsible dog ownership if the owner doesnt train the dog and the kids.
I think it's bad parenting to own ANY dog that you don't take to obedience school and work with. I think it's bad parenting if all members of the family are not trained to handle the dog - including the kids.





It's about being in charge and in control of your dogs. It's also about raising well mannered dogs AND children. You have to do both or you have a recipe for disaster, regardless of the breed.
No I dont think it is irresponsible. I love pitts and I have kids. That is like someone telling me that I am irresponsible cause I have Dobermans and Young kids. I tell them to mind their own business. My dogs have never bit my children or any children for that matter.


I love my dogs. I love my kids and my kids respect the dogs and the dogs know they better not bite the kids..


So NO I think if the dogs are socialized (any breed) with kids and you watch the kids with the dogs and the dogs with the kids you are not Irresponsible.





i would not leave the kids alone with the pitts, if they were really young.
I would never in my life have a dog capable of killing and maiming people around my children. That is just me, though.
It's IDIOCY. Period. No buts.


Late Entry : Rachel, you and few other people here know their dog stuff. Most other ';owners'; shouldn't have their dogs in the first place. Combination of such owners, kids and breed such a pitbull can be very berry problematic.


You know that well.

No comments:

Post a Comment