Thursday, January 21, 2010

What type of parents did you have growing up and how does it effect your parenting skills?

IMy dad is a soldier and my mom is a hippie but most of my survival and social skills came from my dad.and my nurturing and skills as an artist came from my mom. We ate tofu and sang folk songs after we detailed the bathrooms and organized our rooms.What type of parents did you have growing up and how does it effect your parenting skills?
This was the best question on the board just now so I think I'll give you my opinion.


I learned work from my father and love from my mother. Dad was a strict person who spanked first and asked questions later. We all hated his discipline methods and none of us (six in all) have adopted his methods of discipline. Mother was always apologizing for my dad's bad behavior. That didn't go over very well because we all felt he could apologize for himself if he really felt bad about what he did. Nevertheless, he was a good provider and paid attention to our accomplishments. He participated with us in our youthful activities so that we were able to progress and achieve in school, scouts and church. His example was important to establish the work ethic, respect for nature, reverence for God and the importance of family. Mom was loving, playful with her children and always encouraging in our activities and achievements. Overall, I had good parents that taught me how to have a good family of my own when I was ready. I married a woman from a similar background and together we have raised six children with the clear goal of teaching them the same values that we learned as children from our parents. We have emphasized the importance of family, working to provide for our needs, and respect and reverence toward God that we might receive His blessings as needed.What type of parents did you have growing up and how does it effect your parenting skills?
My parents were always very closed off emotionally from my brother and I, and, I suspect, from each other. I don't think either of them know what love really is. I don't remember them fighting in front of us but there was always this feeling of stress and unhappiness. My dad would never allow us to be happy and proud of our accomplishments. Somehow we could always ';do better';. My mom is very catholic and hides behind her religion so she won't have to deal with anyone on a human level. She was always a very rigid person. We were to feel very guilty for things we did wrong and punishments were fairly harsh. I have done a lot of thinking and soul searching about this over the years, much like a lot of other people, I guess. So I make sure I don't treat my daughters like I was treated. I make sure I know them on a human level. I tell them I'm proud of them and allow them to be proud of themselves for their accomplishments. I tell them I love them every day and there are always lots of hugs and kisses. I want to make them feel safe and loved and valued. I tell them that there isn't anything they can't talk to me about. I read to them and listen as they read to me. I hope I am a better parent to them than my own were to me.
My dad was really strict and he always had to have a plan and be on a schedule. That's taught me that hey, kids DON'T like that and maybe I should stay away from it, if a last minute thing pops up, no big deal. Also, my dad always used to play with me and my sister, despite how busy he was, and that's taught me that no matter what I'm doing, I have to put my kid first and give her the attention she deserves. You know what I'm saying?





My mom was a laid back stay at home mom so I'm more of the kind of mom who let's her kid do whatever and buy whatever unless it's horribly overpriced. She was also really hug-y. Like we'd always hug it out when something went wrong. I know it's cheesy but it's true! And now I hug her allllllllllllll the time.
  • loreal makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment