Saturday, January 23, 2010

How many people here get SO mad at incompetent parenting?

i swear, my cousin lets her son HIT her! are you kidding me? She is one of those parents that tells him 2,963 times to do something ';or else';, but never follows through. there is nothing that makes me quite as angry as parents who have NO idea what they are doing.


When my children play with him, they pick up habits that take me a few days to break, and i appear as the ';bad'; parent who never lets my own kids do anything. Any advice?How many people here get SO mad at incompetent parenting?
I do. I live a situation very similar to yours and I MINIMIZE the time they're together, your cousin isn't going to change.





Environment is everything...keep on track with what you know is right, your cousins' influence will probably always test your parenting. Never give up!How many people here get SO mad at incompetent parenting?
i have a very similiar situation with my husbands brother and sister-in-law... they have 7 kids... and by the 3rd kid, they basically gave up, and started letting them raise themselves. there 3 year hits my son.. has even bit him a few times, once drawing blood, and the best they can do is 'say your sorry'. doesnt work for me.





needless to say, some people just were not ment to have kids.. and my family... and i only claim them by marriage. lol... should have never had kids..





we limit when they see eachother now. like on christmas's and thanksgiving... oh and on their birthdays... other than that, we have plans, and my kids cant play.
Don't let your kids play with them. Tell your cousin your kids can't play with her son until she teaches him hitting and such are not acceptable.
You can't change her, but you don't have to watch or join,,,stay away from her, and if she asks why, tell her!! I'm not perfect, but there are limits!!
The funny thing about parenting is that we are all sort of winging it aren't we. You can read books and learn from the people around you but when it gets down to it, none of us are sure if we're doing it the ';right'; way. I grew up in a house where my parents were pretty relaxed when it came to rules and regulations. My mother's sister was just the opposite. She was very strict, always dragging her kids to church and always telling my mother what a horrible mom she was. As adults, my sister and I are very successful and lead happy productive lives while our cousins have been in and out of bad marriages, had children with numerous men and have kids that have been in and out of their homes. Their lives are generally very messy.





I guess what I'm saying is there is nothing written that says you are doing things right and she is wrong. All we can do is work together and hope that we're doing the best for our kids.....
I get mad too... which is why I wrote an article on how to raise a good kid...





http://www.gomestic.com/Family/How-to-Ra鈥?/a>





if you have to tell a kid more than 3 times... then you are allowing the kid to RULE YOUR LIFE!
Live and let live. I understand why you are becoming more upset, but you correcting your children is the right thing to do. It is sad when parents dont follow through because these children will one day be the next generation, they are the future. All you can do though is be the best parent you can be.
Geez, it's easy, just don't visit them anymore, or tell your cousin what contempt you have of her and she probably won't want you to visit - problem solved.





But when your children are naughty you will have to find something other than the influence of their cousins to blame for their less than perfect behaviour.
Start by sitting your cousin down and telling her you don't want to make her mad but if she doesn't start making her kids behave then you will have no choice but to keep yours away then explain that you do not agree with the hitting and biting and if you say you are going to do something then do it. My kids have played with the neighbors their entire life as all of the kids have grown up together but last summer we put a stop to their oldest one coming around because she was constantly hitting, cursing and went as far as to set the back yard on fire and all her mom ever did was blame it on everyone else, funny she stopped coming around and now play time is fight free and no more fires yes we lost a friend over it but our kids are happier and safer. You are the mother and you have every right to decide what is and isn't in the best interest of your children and if your cousin gets upset oh well if she doesn't do something now then you wont be the only parent refusing to allow your kids to play with hers.
I agree. Some parents these days don't follow through with their threats. Was in mcdonalds one day, (few years ago) we were sitting enjoying our dinner when this mother brought in her 3 kids, sat them down and waited in line. They started to fool around and yelling, she came to them told them to stop and be quiet, and if they start again they are going home with no dinner. The second she got back in line they started over again. Well, she got the food and sat and ate. So much for teaching her kids a lesson.





Don't worry how you may look, you are doing your job as a parent. Your kids will appreciate you more.

No comments:

Post a Comment