Saturday, January 23, 2010

What was the best parenting/baby book you have read?

I have heard the Baby Whisperer is good and the Happiest Baby on the Block. If I were going to buy 2, which ones would be worth the money?What was the best parenting/baby book you have read?
';The Baby Whisperer'; is lousy. She has a poor understanding of babies. Surprisingly poor for somebody writing about them. One good review:


http://www.kellymom.com/store/reviews/re鈥?/a>


Anybody who says eating is a baby's only work is just dumb. Babies are getting a new PhD and Olympic gold every month. Being an infant is hard work.





';The Happiest Baby on the Block'; is okay, but I don't know if it's worth buying. Swaddle, shh, side, etc; a quick summary will do almost as much as the whole thing.





I would go with Sears and Sears' ';The Baby Book,'; and maybe an infant development book -- ';What's Going On In There?'; is good -- rather than a baby/parenting book.





';Dr Jack Newman's Guide to Breastfeeding'; (aka ';The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers';) is a must-read.





';What to Expect'; is garbage. See


http://www.epinions.com/content_40736820鈥?/a>


for why.





';The Mother's Almanac'; is an oldie but a goodie.What was the best parenting/baby book you have read?
The Baby Book by Dr. Sears and So That's What They're For!





The No-Cry Sleep Solution is also great. I basically recommend any book that recognizes your child as an individual, not the enemy, and promotes bonding and attachment.
';Your Baby and Child'; by Penelope Leach is a good one. Also anything by Sheila Kitzinger!





';The Happiest Baby...'; was a lifesaver for my super fussy son.





I second ';The Continuum Concept'; and ';No-Cry Sleep Solution';





Please beware of any book that tries to ';train'; babies, or treats them as obstacles, inconveniences, or the enemy.





Take all advice with a grain of salt, not matter what book you read!-)
Baby Love by Robin Barker. I love the way is is written, very non-judgmental/preachy. It just explains all the different options and lets you make up your own mind. She has also written one called The Mighty Toddler which is also excellent. By the way, they are Australian books.
I loved the book So Your Gonna Be A Mom/Dad


I would buy the Baby whisperer if i had to choice between them
There are quite a few good books available, but also some really bad ones. I'd recommend any (all) of Dr. Sears' books, but steer clear of Gary Ezzo's ';Babywise'; books.





';Dangers of Ezzo and Babywise';


http://www.fresnofamily.com/ap/ezzo.htm
For Pregnancy-What to expect when your expecting tells you EVERYTHING,I lived by that book.For a good read,Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy is really good,and very funny.Also Girlfriends Guide To Pregnancy by Vicki Iovine.





For Parenting-What to expect the first year is great,just the the pregnancy edition.Baby laughs by Jenny McCarthy is a ';sequel'; where she writes about her expierences after she has her son,also very very good.
Becoming the parent you want to be and baby 411
THE WOMANLY ART OF BREASTFEEDING by La Leche League





NO CRY SLEEP SOLUTION by Elizabeth Pantley





and ';babies uber alles %26amp; maegs'; suggestions too... I've read some, heard great things about the others.





for your 2nd question... neither, buy one of these other books better!!





***edit.... oh yes, please read that link from Quiet Tempest, that book is dangerous... if anyone ever suggests that one to you, run away!!!
Baby 411 just rocks. It kicks the What to Expect book in the head and keeps on going.





I also loved The Nursing Mother's Companion Guide.





Between Baby 411 and TNMCG, I had every question covered.
Your babies first year, week to week guide.
I actually enjoyed looking stuff up on the internet more so than reading books. I was given a few books by friends, and they were okay. But I find that books that cover everything generally only spend a small amount of time on each topic so that they can include many subjects. I would perk my interest on a subject with a book, but then more thourougly research it online. The thing is... there's lots of contradicting information in the books you read. One book may say do this, another may be against it. I preferred to read information from both sides and try to make the most logical decision. I've carried this over now that my daughter has been born.
The Continuum Concept, and the Sears Baby Book.








http://www.askdrsears.com/store/detail.a鈥?/a>


http://www.continuum-concept.org/
Baby Love by Robin Barker
';the girlfriends guide to pregnancy';


';what to expect when you're expecting';
What to Expect when you're expecting


What to Expect in the first year ((my bible))


Parents Magazine





Happiest Baby on the block bored me my son is 13 months now i and i still go back to WTE in the First Year...
What to Expect the 1st year


What to Expect the Toddler Years
Baby: what to expect the first year.





Parenting: my Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment