Saturday, January 23, 2010

What is your favorite parenting philosophy?

What makes that particular philosophy stand out to apart from all others?What is your favorite parenting philosophy?
I will only treat my children the way I would want to be treated if I were in their shoes.





Sometimes, they dislike the things I say or do- but I know that I'm treating them in a way that when they look back as an adult, they'll understand. My job is to protect them and love them and guide them. But their happiness relies on a big part of mine and my husbands actions and attitudes.What is your favorite parenting philosophy?
I don't know if you can really pin point any particular 'parenting philosophy' and call it your own. I would think that most people pick and choose from all sorts, and there are so many different factors and situations that you would have to consider. I guess if I had to group my philosophy into one huge lump, I would say I prefer more natural/ attachment parenting. It stands out to me because I, myself, lean more towards a natural, holistic lifestyle. I also prefer to keep my children close, for example, a snugli or baby bjorn over a stroller, etc.
Take it day to day because what may have been the answer yesterday no longer applies today.








I am not sure what makes it stand out from others but the reasoning behind it is, each day my children grow a little more as do I, making each of us a different person from who we were, there fore making rules that may have applied at one time moot. There is no way for one to determine when is the right time to change the rules of the house, or per specific person, in advance because you do not know if they will be ready at that decided time until the time has come.
For a serious answer, there is a time tested philosphy coming from one of the most ancient cultures. The quote is in Sanskrit, and the meaning is thus:


Till the age of five treat the child like a King, serving the child thus.


Next ten years treat the child like a 'slave' ( ';slave'; is not in the present day sense of the word, it simply means, to ensure that the child gets into right groove, by very close association to give suggestive prescriptions for all activities, to make it less vulnerable to the temptations of that age0


Once a child reaches 15 years of age, treat the child like a good friend.





This has worked for many centuries, until the recent times where all the ';parameters'; of the society got thoroughly re-written, with fast evolving life styes!
My philosphy is to always remember how old they are. Sometimes I talk to my daughter and set expectations for her and then remember she's only six.
Don't sweat the small stuff





Pick your fights








I like both of these and they have gotten me thru many many situations.
smile and nod and ignore the idiots.





that works for just about everything there is.
Life's not fair.


The sooner they learn it the better. Too many adults still don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment