Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Any tips on parenting a newborn that you wish you had known ahead of time?

I'm about 2 weeks or less away from having my first baby and I'm scared to death that I'm going to mess up...I know that there are natural instincts I will have but I'm sure there are things I should know ahead of time...Do any of you have any tips for me when parenting my new baby that maybe you wish you would have known ahead of time that you would like to share with us....Thanks!!! :)Any tips on parenting a newborn that you wish you had known ahead of time?
if u are having a boy be sure to point that lil thing down at EVERY diaper change or else you will end up having a baby whose clothes are soaked in pee and a completely dry diaper. lol


if its a girl, if she has slight spotting of blood dont panic it is normal.


anything with fragrance is not good for a baby's skin as its skin is like tissue paper and everything put on it will absorb directly into the blood and go to the liver, this also includes fabric softners, and detergents.


of course dont get the umbilical cord wet, only apply rubbing alcohol til it falls off,


have any questions u can email me at dceeewperry@yahoo.com. im on my 5th pg. good luck and congratsAny tips on parenting a newborn that you wish you had known ahead of time?
Yes - you really don't need all the stuff stores, parenting magazines and others tell you you need! All the fancy toys, gadgets and gizmos will actually take up more of your time when you're adjusting to new motherhood rather than make things convenient.





The KISS method - Keep It Simple, Silly - works best.





Get any major housework done now. If you're married or have family/friends who will help, set up a schedule of chores and stick to it. Don't stress about other housework.





Sleep when your baby sleeps.





If you want to breastfeed, that's great. However, my son didn't want to have anything to do with nursing. Don't get hung up on that and DON'T let some of the ';breastfeeding mafia'; bully you into thinking you're a bad parent if you can't or don't want to breastfeed. Rest assured your child will NOT turn into a lizard or something if you don't nurse.





I was very nervous when my son was born, but it really is instinctual - you just *know* how to care for them. And if you have questions while you're in the hospital, don't hesitate to ask. That's what the nurses are there for.





You will be fine. Good luck!
seriously - sleep when the baby sleeps...and if you cant sleep make sure you eat something. i knew i would be tired, but wasnt prepared for the physical exhaustion that would come from walking the floor and bouncing little girl around, and i was less mental, and better able to do it on a full stomach.





remember that there is no way to be a perfect mom - but a million ways to be a good one. you are the best mom for you baby. instinct and common sense will get you through.
Firstly get your baby into a routine straight away put him/her down at the same time each day. Don't stress. Don't be afraid to ask for help this does not make you a bad mother it makes you a smart one. Listen to all the advice you get - mums know best.


Remember its ok to give bubles lots of cuddles but stay to your routine you will have a happy contented baby.


Use cooled boiled water if bubs gets an upset stomach. If you get behind in the house works don't worry, it will wait if you stress to much you will have trouble producing milk.


Cabbage leaves are got for sore breasts.


Get plenty of rest ask someone to come in and help with the house work for the first few days, this allows you to bond with bubs and get your rest.





good luck pp


mother of 4 healthy children
For me...everyone painted this perfect, wonderful picture of a newborn. They were full of crap. Yes, a newborn is wonderful, but the toll it takes on the mother is a nightmare. No sleep, crazy hormones, irritibility, no time to brush teeth, take a shower...the list goes on. Babies are little blobs of need until about 2-3 months old. I love my children and I think they have been wonderful since the moment they were born. I just was not prepared for how hard the first 2 months were going to be. I hope this helps.
1 - Don't be afraid to ask for help if and when you need it.


2 - Don't expect your new born to act/sleep the same at home as he did in the hospital.


3 - Breastfeeding can take up to 2 months to figure out and to get into a good routine. I almost gave up on it but kept on with support of a friend.


4 - you will be sleep deprived but it gets better.


5 - Theres a difference between size 1 diapers and newborn.


Good luck
look online for ';THE HAPPIEST BABY ON THE BLOCK';, it's a DVD by Dr. Harvey Karp on tips to sooth babies under 3 months. I saw it when my son was 5 weeks and SO wish I had seen it sooner!





if you know someone who has it or if they have it at the library then borrow it (better to borrow then you don't have to buy it). you will be happy you watched it!





edit: geez i get thumbs down for giving helpful advice?? okay then...





oh and one other thing, breastfeeding is HARD, it is NOT as easy as you think it will be but DON'T GIVE IT UP!
http://www.kellymom.com/





http://www.attachmentparenting.org/





slings are awesome- breastfeeding is hard at first but it gets so easy and trust your body it will do the worl IF YOU LET IT- some babies nurse every 45 minutes


dont take any advise from jsut anyone or jsut because it worked for them or because ';they survived';





you might regret not cuddling them enough but you will never regret cuddling them too much





oh yeah, if you choose to nurse- it takea while for babies to learn how to latch on- but if you offer a bottle, that can make it worse. it tooks me dadys and days of sitting in my room jsut waiting fo rmy son to open his mouth, especially since i had a tired jaundice baby
When people say you will be really sleep deprived...they REALLY mean sleep deprived.





Those 1st few weeks I was a zombie...but you really will be amazed at how much momma instinct you really have. I read all these books pre baby and realized really quickly that you will write your own book pretty much. It falls into place and it is SO awesome.





But the lack of sleep?? I really underestimated that...
everybody is nervous by something so know you're not alone. Re-evaluate yourself as a mom once the hormones have passed post-pregnancy. You WILL bump their head.. drop something on them.. have them roll off the couch.. you WILL feel bad but they will be fine. You'll be a great mom.. there's nothing like it. I have a 3 1/2 month old and can barely remember where you are now.. it's like she's always been here.
My biggest thing I wish I did was sleep when baby was sleeping!!!! When my daughter slept I would do the house work etc. It wasn't until she was 3 months old I FINALLY tried the sleep when she sleeps thing and it was WONDERFUL!!!! Wish I had done it sooner, like the day she was born,lol.


Good luck.
baby wearing!!! I wish I had known how wonderful it was to wear my daughter in a sling or wrap before she was born. I used a snugli (uuugh... not too comfy or natural for baby) for the first 6 months then discovered the ring sling.
All I can say is SLEEP WHEN THE BABY SLEEPS!!! You will be very tired after just going through 9 months of pregnancy and giving birth. If you are well rested you will be able to keep up with the demands of a newborn much better.
Did anyone ever read The Second Nine Months: One Woman Tells the REAL Truth About Becoming a Mom. Finally? It got very good reviews.
I wish I had read Baby Wise by Gary Ezzo sooner. This book will teach you how to make the baby sleep through the night at an earlier age. It is a wonderful book.


Also remember you're the parent trust your instincts.
dont be scared just try to be the best you can be and having a new birn baby is a moment you will treasure forever ok thanks thats what i thought
i was very tense and nervous when i first became a mum. i would say to you to relax and enjoy! we all do alright! its so amazing when you first hold them!
I wish I'd set an alarm clock at night to wake me up every 2hr. Wake up, walk for 15 min, and then re set it to wake me up again in 2hr. etc. To try it out before I had my son:)))
You'll do OK. Its normal to be afraid. My spouse and I knew nothing and we all survived.
I was scared out of my mind too. Towards the end I changed my mind about being a mother - I had this ';who am I kidding,'; thoughts, ';I can't do this!';





But I must say, the basics came pretty easily. I have difficult days (A LOT of them), when I just don't know what's right or wrong, what's up or down, I get through them all and next time the same thing happens I know what to expect and can handle it better. It's a learning curve.





If I can give you one piece of advice, it's always, always follow your instincts, no matter what anyone else tries to tell you - you are the mother and you know best. That nagging little voice telling you what to do, is your instincts, listen to that voice.





Remember, no one's perfect you WILL make mistakes, when this happens relax, it's going to be okay, don't beat yourself up, but learn from them and next time you won't make the same mistake again.





It's okay to ask for help, don't try to do it all by yourself.





And the age-old trusted advice... sleep when the baby sleeps. Don't worry about the dirty dishes, they're not going anywhere.





And another thing... babies only look that fragile. It's VERY hard to break a baby.





ETA: There will be a day, four weeks from now, perhaps four months from now, when you'll look at your baby, and you won't be able to imagine your life without them, or even remember a day that you weren't a mother.
GET SOME EARPLUGS
  • loreal makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment