Thursday, January 21, 2010

What are the disadvantages of parallel parenting in a divorced family?

Usually one parent has full custody and the non custodial parent feels as if he has no say. My husband is in this position. When it comes to his sons medical stuff my husband has no say so in what his ex wife does. Even if he does not agree with some of the decisions she makes (and he has disagreed because some things she has had done were not nescessary). That is one of the disadvantages. Another disadvantage is one that I have to deal with my ex and our daughter. I hold an entirely different set of morals and values than my ex holds and I worry about what he says or allows her to do when she is there. I have voiced my concerns but I don't feel that he would honor the route I am taking in trying to raise our daughter. There are issues we have been over and over and I am at the point at stopping visits because her safety is and issue!!!!What are the disadvantages of parallel parenting in a divorced family?
Both parents trying to compete with each other, is the main one. THere are alot of physcological disadvantages, but they all depend on the kid.What are the disadvantages of parallel parenting in a divorced family?
The major disadvantages is that you and your ex have to be on the same page as each other. If you're not in a good place with the ex, it will be difficult. You need to get the ex to understand that it isn't about you two, its about the children. The custodial parent makes the decisions. If you have joint custody, you may have to go into mediation constantly. Avoid joint custody if you can! Good Luck!
Too many to count. What usually happens, especially as the kids get older, is they play one parent against the other. Especially if the divorced parents are not on good terms to keep open communications. My son came home from a week with his dad, wearing clothes I had told him he couldn't have, and had his hair dyed, which I also said he couldn't do. His dad ';pretended'; he didn't know I disapproved of that particular style, in order to look like the ';nice dad'; versus the ';bad mom';.
Please define... parallel parenting ... you mean 50/50 ?





Please be more specific so I may reply.





My soon to be ex and I have 50/50 and we try to do what's best for the kids... they spend more time with me, but still see him, he pays child support, and we agree on almost everything for their sake.. we try to keep things out of court if we can be civil to each other over everything including parenting... I take care of the medical and school stuff and include him by letting him know their progress, problems etc.. I think it is great if you can agree for whats best for the kids .. So far I have had a good experience with joint custody... he had to learn everything since I raised them mostly by myself with his paycheck... but he did learn and does okay.. sometimes I have to explain things to him but I have to give him credit he is a good dad and means well... Like I said above they are with me mostly and if we have concerns we talk about them... we have never been to court just mediation and it was once.. because we agree upon everything together instead of fighting.. I do not think there are alot of ppl who can do this... but we don't let us get in the way it is for our children why we work together to raise them the way we would have iof we were together...I always say they have the best of both worlds... :O)

No comments:

Post a Comment