Saturday, January 23, 2010

How long does parenting information remain current?

The reason I ask is that I've been collecting parenting books and magazines ever since I got married, hoping that soon we'd have a baby. Well, I'm still waiting for my dream to come true so I've been faithfully holding on to them. But now, I'm wondering if they need to be tossed. Of course I know that the internet is full of resources and I try to stay current, even learning all about elimination communication and things like that, but sometimes it's just nice to have things in print. My question is, being that my printed material doesn't have the latest parenting info, is it of any value? I know I have to have the very latest information on things like safety, but what other types of info go out of date quickly? I guess another way to ask is this...moms - what's the oldest parenting material you've felt comfortable using?How long does parenting information remain current?
Experience taught me that the books are crap. Every child and every family is different.How long does parenting information remain current?
it's not so much whether or not the information is current. it's more which information is relevant to your beliefs about raising children and what information applies in any given situation. experience is the best teacher, not books. check out http://www.homelivingsecrets.com for more information on parenting.
Parenting works best if you practice on some kids while reading your books so that you see how it works for you. Plus that builds confidence.





So read your magazines and babysit kids of various ages from newborn to about age 12; hire yourself out occasionally if you have to.





I practiced on my dozen or so nieces and nephews, and it was invaluable experience; my daughter turned out much better than they did!

No comments:

Post a Comment