Thursday, January 21, 2010

Has anyone ever cut ties with friends or family over differences in parenting?

My husband and I are no longer visiting nor socializing with a family member of his because of the way they let their kid get away with everything. The child pushes, bites, hits and is very hyper to boot. When we'd visit, our child would try what their child is doing and we'd correct ours. It didn't seem fair for ours to watch theirs get away with murder and here ours was 'getting in trouble'. In the end during a discussion over the subject everything got blown waaaay out of proportion and the result is we're no longer 'friends'.Has anyone ever cut ties with friends or family over differences in parenting?
Personally, your child and your family comes first. It is up to you to protect your child's development. If you decide that it's not a healthy relationship, then you have the right and the moral obligation to protect your family from this bad relationship. I am always upfront and honest with my kids. I do not name call or pass judgments on the offender, but I let my kids know that the other kids behavior is not acceptable to me. There is transfer value in this. Kids can learn vicariously from other children's consequences. They will determine, ';gosh, if I behave like that I may lose friends too';. As a parent we must learn to reason things out and follow our gut instinct. It's not a job for weaklings.Has anyone ever cut ties with friends or family over differences in parenting?
I can't say that we've had to end friendship over parenting differences. But we did end a lot of friendships when I got pregnant b/c some of our friends were still extremely immature and couldn't quite understand that our partying days were over. But I think that if it really became an issue %26amp; you were starting to have problems w/ your child because of it, then ending the friendship would be wise to do. You have to be careful who you expose your children to.
You gotta do whats best for you and your family. We had to cut ties with one of my husbands best friends because he would show up and make all kinds of promises to our son and then go missing for weeks to months on end, never fulfilling the promises he made I got sick and tired of having to break the news to my son that he wasn't going to show up.
My sisters father who raised me married a women who decided that my mother was a horrible parent.


She now has two kids who are little brats, there son stepped on the back of my wedding dresses and ripped out all the buttons on purpose. We'll i decided that once he totally changed his personality and didn't like that i spoke my mind that i didn't want to be involved with some one like that. Now that my sister is 18 and she is his full blooded child he rarely talks with her and pretty much uses her as a baby sitter.
Yes........I think this happens a lot............sorry to keep it so simple..........but we all have standards........that's not bad...esp. if yours are good....... That's why they have bottoms to spank..............not heads to hit. Keep them learning correctly.......and you will have a good friend in the end. And probably not to many tears......And thanks to people who have enough courage to make good choice's....and not just kiss donkey's.
I think you should always do what's best for your children no matter how close the family or friends are.

No comments:

Post a Comment