Sunday, May 9, 2010

Why do people misinterpret different parenting choices as judgment?

For example:


Me: ';It's amazing how a lot of people just assume baby's eat from jars';


My Mom: ';Your right I was the worst and most lazy mother';


Me: ';That's not what I said.....';








Like what?!? It makes me feel self-conscience because when people ask me what Julia eats I tell them what I make for her, but I am scared they think I am judging them. Weiird.


Why is this?Why do people misinterpret different parenting choices as judgment?
You know mom was going to say that. hahaha





She is so predictable and easy to pick on, its hard to resist.








I want the house.Why do people misinterpret different parenting choices as judgment?
Some people are just defensive because they themselves question their own choices and are insecure...or sometimes it is HOW something is said. It also has to do with parenting being the most important role in most parents' lives--they tried their best and don't want to feel like they didn't do the best possible for their child.





Also, expert recommendations change so much and so quickly that what my sister did for my 13-year-old niece and what my mom did for me--both following doctor's advice--would be considered ';wrong'; now. They did follow the doctor's advice and are now hearing, for example, that tummy-sleeping could increase the risk of sids. I'm sure my mom doesn't want to feel like she put us at risk in any way, ya know.
Insecurities of their parenting decisions.





Your comment didn't even make me flinch, it's probably a comment I've made in the past. Because of their insecurities they jump on their high horse, and but their backs up.





Nothing can really be done about it. Eventually you just shut up, because everything you say upsets someone.
Well, these pictures are a huge example of that. Apparently these pictures have told some people that it's an attack against someone formula feeding, when in all honesty that was no one's intention. Not all took it that way but some did. Misinterpretation of actions and words, without an explanation.
I know what you mean. They assume you have some underlying meaning to what you say. Instead of listening to the words that you are saying they are trying to read between the lines. That annoys me when people do that, especially my mom. I end up trying to explain my thoughts when if she had not tried to analyze what I was saying and listen to me there would be a whole lot less stress. I feel your pain!
I don't know why, but I feel the same way about breastfeeding. There are so many moms on Y!A who talk about how the breastfeeding ';nazis'; attack them for using formula, and how we all think we're superior. Now when I answer feeding related questions, I sometimes don't mention I breastfeed, because someone will interpret my comment on how I feed my daughter as me bashing them for not breastfeeding.
I think it would depend on how you said the statement to begin with, and who you said it to, plus some things are just better kept to yourself, I have had to do that more than once. If you think someone might get offended then just dont say anything, of course if someone asks you a question about how you d things then just say so.
haha i have so gotten something like that








my mom. i guess i was a horrible mother i would never let you go stay anywhere not even my moms house until you were 1. and your letting your son go to his dads at 7 months


me.. i am tired and i would like a night of sleep..








i get what you are saying. baby's eat different ways.
I think some people feel secretly guilty and insecure about their choices and every time people mention other choices they get angry and defensive and take it as a personal judgment.





Like the person who said anybody who had a breast feeding avatar was ';criticising formula';! I'm still trying to figure that one out...
Your comment did sound judgmental no offense. Saying it as ';although there is nothing wrong with pre jarred baby food (because there isnt anything wrong). I prefer to make my babies food'; But what anyone really thinks is not important as long as each parent does what they feel is right for their baby.
It's them who's self conscious with the choices they've made that's why they feel the need to get defensive.Surely if you're happy with your choices you are confident enough not worry about what others think?Don't worry just be true to yourself.
it is always better if u can make ur own baby food. keep the jar or readymade food as standby to supplement the primary diet. if someone feel inferior by home made baby food or on the contrary if someone feel superior by feeding their baby with jars 'god help them'.

No comments:

Post a Comment