Thursday, December 31, 2009

What was the worst parenting advice you received from someone?

And what was the best?





Was there anyone that you hung on their every word, or someone that you pretended to listen to but thought they were full of it?What was the worst parenting advice you received from someone?
WORST ~ when a child acts up, have them stand in the corner with full cans in their hands, holding them at shoulder-height, repeating ';What would Jesus do ?'; until they beg to stop.


Two alarming things :


1) LAME


2) I can almost guarantee that Jesus wouldn't hold up cans as self-penance.





BEST~My Mom, encouraging me not to fall victim to the ';Cat's in the Cradle'; syndrome like she had to.





Full of it?


My MIL. My brain is on auto-pilot about 95 % of the time when she babbles on, especially with anything concerning my SD, who has been her special project and her golden child for the last 18 years.


Recently confirmed is the fact that my SD is far from golden~What was the worst parenting advice you received from someone?
The best was how to handle Nick. Do you remember Nick? I posted about him a few times. He's the cruddy, bossy, mean friend of my son's, which, thanks to the people here, they are apart. Also Bosox with her four-wheeling advice. Never forgot that one.





I get bad advice all the time, but I forget what they are because I tune them out. They're ususally offset by some great people, so that's the part I remember.





I don't know if I hang on every word, but sometimes I sit around waiting for what Des has to say on something. Our kids are the same age, she also has a special needs child, and well, she is level headed. Oh and Wordnerd and Butscratch too, but that's just because they crack me up. They're usually not that helpful.
Having eight kids (or even back when we had four or five) parents with one or two very well behaved kids would attempt to offer advice about organization, behavior, etc. I usually just pretended to listen but didn't take any of it seriously because they had no idea what it was actually like to take care of a large family.





As far as the best advice, having a schedule actually written out is great for me and for the older kids to know what is coming next. As far as organization and whatnot, the label maker is my BFF.
The worst: I guess that would be the old ';crying is good for their lungs.';





The best: ';You are her mom. You know her best. You make the choices you think are best for her.'; (Of course it goes without saying, but it was nice to hear this when I was a new mommy.)





I tend to value the advice of my brother and his wife because they are excellent parents who have researched a lot of issues, but I don't do everything they did. My stepsister's advice goes in one ear and out the other.
My grandfather told me when my son had a tooth coming in, I should take a knife and cut the gum line right above the tooth a little. He said it would relieve the pressure and make it less painful.





Needless to say, I never did that.





Best advice, don't sweat the small stuff. My MIL tells me that on a daily basis.





Fortunately, I haven't had a whole lot of people telling me what to do and how to do it in regards to my son.
Worst advice: When my daughter was 2 weeks old my husband's aunt who is an older nurse told me to replace one feeding a day with an 8 oz. bottle of water. Um, no.





Best advise: Always trust your instincts. I brought my daughter to the ER one time because I couldn't shake the feeling that she was sick with more than just a little cold. She had a slightly runny nose, no fever and wasn't fussy but I wanted to make sure. Turns out she was in the early stages of pneumonia. Because she was treated so early it never got serious. I was so happy I trusted my own instincts that day.
The worst I ever heard was: ';My dad beat the crap out of me and I turned out fine';





There was someone, I believed everything she said to the point I didn't even think about it. And I shouldn't have done that. Because she was wrong.
worst: substitute water for formula/breast milk because sometimes they are just thirsty





best: it's ok to put the baby down and let him cry for a minute if you are at your wits end and need a break for a few minutes to collect yourself
Using key words as opposed to no all the time. Hot, stop, danger, ETC..


I think most parents and people are full of it.
the best advice is don't sweat the small stuff





the worst advice was to not get my daughter vaccinated
worst- let him cry for up to a half hour before you check on him





best- sleep when baby sleeps, really important lol

No comments:

Post a Comment