Thursday, December 31, 2009

What is the weirdest parenting advice you have ever recived ?

Ok so I really hate it when people come up to you and try to give you parenting tips and they have no idea what they are talking about. It doesn't matter if they are family, friends or strangers. So whats the most off the wall thing someone has told you?What is the weirdest parenting advice you have ever recived ?
it wasn't given to me but it was given on a radio show by a caller. the topic was advice for dealing with a slightly unruly and hyper 1 year old. some lady told the radio host to get a squirt bottle, like you would use for a disobedient cat, and spray the back of the kid's neck with bleach. bleach!? the radio host disagreed with that vehemently, but...gee, have you read a bottle of bleach? you're not supposed to get that on your skin.What is the weirdest parenting advice you have ever recived ?
sorry worst

Report Abuse



when I was born and I had my days and nights mixed up somebody told my mom to hold me by my ankles and swing me upside down and that would straighten out my body, WTF?





I was also told by my grandmother that it isn't safe to breastfeed because breastmilk isn't sterile and if I insisted on doing it I needed to at least be scrubbing my breasts before each feeding (how nasty does she think my boobs are??)


She also insisted that I put a hat and gloves and heavy blanket on my son when he was a newborn (he was born in July and it was 102 degrees outside)
My cousin had a very bad habit of constantly picking her nose when she was a small child. My aunt was told to tape my cousins fingers together to prevent her from inserting them back into her nose.
This isn't weird, but it's still a pet peeve of mine. I hate it when people (especially people at work because then I'm forced to be nice) say ';your son is 9 months old and he's still not sleepign through the night?! That's ridiculous, have you tried x, y, and z';. When I reply that yes, indeed, I have tried all tricks adn he's just nto a sleeper they reply with ';well, that's impossible because I did x adn it worked like a charm';





Oh yeah, and my parents suggested putting brandy on his gums for teething. When I say, ';no, I would rather not give my child alcohol thankyouverymuch'; they say ';well, we did it with you and you turned out alright.';
nothing too off the wall, i just think its funny when people who have no kids give you ';advise';.

No comments:

Post a Comment